Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Sonnet No. 1: February Belle

First sonnet I have ever written. Will always be the most important.
Begun Wednesday 2nd February 2011, ended only in death.


Tough this lark, and not really such a ‘lark’-
to move on and leave early selves behind.
At periods of pain, they stand to mark,
their faces sterner, rougher, finer-lined
with each dead end encountered up to here.
Move on! Keep moving on! But I, no doubt,
have precious few mes left, and so I fear
to live a life filled with laments of without,
or one where I’m found wanting (you and I).
And that’s the problem with this ‘love again’:
How can you now settle for a stone lie
when you once danced true atop a mountain?
So by my self I am, by yours I’m not:
the closest to perfection I e’er got.







(N.B. The lines set indented and emphasised in italics (11-12) are as so to indicate, for they compose the sonnet's question, that the iambics have been reversed; the other 12 lines operate on opposite iambic pentameter to these two).

3 comments:

  1. nice...it flows great into and out of your question...which i really like as it brings the heart of the matter that i think many can relate to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good sonnet! I really like the metaphor of the snake (or other reptile?) shedding its skin and your leaving behind selves. That's a fascinating thought. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arron
    Very beautifully written and the last lines were the best... so beautifully you said the same thing in different way.. very different way...
    'So by my self I am, by yours I’m not:
    the closest to perfection I e’er got.'
    thanks for sharing..
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/02/whispers-another-kind-of-valentines-day.html

    ReplyDelete