Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Perpendicular Parallels

Wednesday 22nd December 2010, A. Palmer
  
Pirouetting from a static crowd,
she came into my life and left me.
She left me in a daze of desire
and panic you could hear aloud,
as she led me to a crooked spire.

There, we cemented what we’d fought
and in a moment of weakness, or strength, I cried.
I cried out that it was unfair to be so irreplaceable,
and she, with the depth I’d always sought,
assured me everybody is erasable.

When I recall those moments, it hurts.
It hurts to laugh so hard at my willing.
That I ever believed gravity could grow
from such loose fibres and feelings reverts
I, she, all of you back to what we’d kill to know:

Whose is the face that you will see
when your eyelids kiss for the final time?
Who will you wait for when their time is near?
Only then can you know the identity
of the one you’ve truly loved every second of every year.

7 comments:

  1. Many great lines here Aaron. The poem feels like a dance up a steeple to a grave and dig deep at the feelings of lost love. Well done. Happy holidays to you! Gay

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with gay - many great lines here - and deep emotions. you're really good at expressing intense emotions so naturally
    line i liked most was...That I ever believed gravity could grow
    from such loose fibres and feelings reverts..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "..assured me everybody is erasable."
    A hard lesson. Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poetry, Arron. Can relate to this piece, painfully so. You strike a great balance between conveying intense emotions and the use of telling imagery. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi arron...i saw you at the alter taking your vows...a good write and to echo other comments there were great lines here..all the best pete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys, this poem was theraputic for me, it expressed my fear of loving someone my whole life through that wasn't necessarily my 'true' love. I explored the idea that the last thing you see as you die is what you want most, and that may be the face/ "identity" of your 'one true love'. It scared me to think that this would be an all-too-late damning realisation- I want to go out with a sense of fulfillment, not sudden regret.

    The confusion over who really is your true love, whether you truly ever love someone as naively soul-deep as the first one, is reflected in the method of twisting the second lines in the first three stanzas (i.e. "left me" goes from sad- abandonment- to happy- wonderment; "hurts" goes from negative- self-pitiful pain- to somewhat more positive- defiant self-mocking and so forth). This is perhaps suggestive that I hold anger towards that first one, who let me down and destroyed my faith in love- hence my description of naive (any subsequent love I give out would not go without burnt fingers, or a knowledge of how it can all go pear-shaped, hence proceeding with caution and thereby eradicating many of the magical qualities of seriously believing it could last forever).

    In a nutshell, it is an attempt at addressing a cliche theme (true/first love) in an alternative way (that all becomes clear, annoyingly, just as you cannot do anything about it, and the consequent phobia of that).

    ReplyDelete