Thursday, 18 November 2010

Bedtime Story

Thursday 18th November 2010, A. Palmer



Speaking in purple patches
Was what frightened me.
The bats cast upon the wall
By hands so inconceivably large-
I could vanquish them by turning out the light.


And I could tell you found
Mutating your voice into one
That carried deep around the solar system walls,
Loud enough to be heard beyond Saturn,
Amusing.


Whilst draping me in a duvet
Did not chill me with fear.
Rather, it warmed me with security-
I manipulated a protective hand upon my head
By leaning like a puppy.


No, it was the language I didn’t understand:
The one you used with Mum when you left the room.
Your tone had cooled as you crossed the threshold,
Whilst hers was shrill like she’d fell,
Grazed her knee like me last week.


Both tried to keep it from me,
Hushed tones, big words, sentences
Worded like an ambiguous soliloquy.
But it all served to tell me just as well
As it would if I were your divorce lawyer.




7 comments:

  1. Divorce from a child's perspective. Nice one, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apt one.

    love the shifted perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice going with the flow..i enjoyed that read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i felt the darkness in this this...the poor child knowing what was happening but not being able to understand...a great write...thanks for sharing...pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. A painful subject expressed very well through the eyes of a child...you have a talent for weaving language into vivid images, packed with the feeling of a moment - beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Arron
    Ahh!! .. the melancholy of it all.. i could relate to it so much...
    Thanks for sharing...

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Effective, tale-telling, childishly abstracted work.

    ReplyDelete